Monday, December 29, 2008

Keepin it movin....

Greetings and timoneni from Lilongwe!!! I have been at site for about 2 1/2 weeks and taking a break to restock and to grab books to help prepare me for my school term. Since I didn't leave site for Christmas, i'm allowed to hang out in Lilongwe for the week, which is nice! I love my site, it's gorgeous, the people are friendly, and i'm looking forward to teaching english to all four forms(about 200 students) but coming to Lilongwe gives me a chance to refuel, get mail, check email, update this blog, and regain some sanity(haha). A lot of people believe that homestay is the hardest part of service....I may say that this is true in some cases. Homestay provides a big security net-meals provided, surrounded by Peace Corps training staff, and other volunteers. Although, it is difficult adjusting to life in a new country, homestay is comforting but tough. I don't think it's so tough it will make you reconsider the reasons why you decided to join the Peace Corps but I guess it's all in the attitude you take as well. Moving to site has been a lot harder then homestay. You have to prepare your own meals, you have to plan your own schedule, you no longer have the comforting, security net from homestay but the upside is you finally get to begin your service(The reason why I came). Being away from home for the holidays was a bit rough. This is not my first holiday away from home but the lack of communication and time difference makes it hard to have lengthy phonecalls, especially after being on village time. I'm not going to lie, I had some serious doubts about being able to complete service but everyone does. It comes with the territory, it's how you learn to cope and make most of your situation that really matters. I look around me, sure the village was here before me and will be here after me, but the simple interactons I have with children, the women or men of the village can't happen without me(or another volunteer). I didn't come to Malawi to tell folks how to live their lives, I came to help them figure out ways to make their lives easier. To help provide them with more choices then what they had before, even if it's just one more choice because that's one more then they had. I have already gained so much from my interaction that I feel what I have contributed thus far and plan to contribute in my next 2 years can't even compare. There are ups and downs to everything, but remembering the reason, the purpose, and all that you did to get this far, is a good enough reminder to keep it movin. I'm enjoying my time here in Malawi, I am getting to know some awesome folks both Peace Corps and non-Peace Corps. Anyways, if I think of more to write before I leave Lilongwe but until then- peace, love, and hugs from the warm heart of africa!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awwwwwwwwwww court. We all miss you but I'm way more proud of what your doing and your dedication to community and bettering the world. Love you so much!