Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Greetings from a new Peace Corps volunteer!

Whoa! What a ride these past two months have been! I'm am excited, anxious, and ready to get to site and begin my life as a volunteer. For the past two months, I have been in training to prepare myself for 2 years of service and I must say that training has made all the difference. From the language and technical training to homestay, I can't complain about anything. But then again it depends on your approach. I have taken a pretty relaxed, go with the flow attitude which has made everything easier. Some times I think people forget that we are living in one of the poorest countries in the world and that less than 7% of the population has electricity. Things happen, people are late, but really what do you have to do that is so pressing that you can't wait? I do nothing in a rush and really just try to take it moment by moment. Each day brings new surprises and new experiences that I appreciate more and more. I'm not going to lie, that first week in homestay I was questioning whether or not this is the right place for me. But, that has quickly changed as I have gotten to know more Malawians, formed closer relationships with a few people in my group, and of course chatting with the Peace Corps training staff helps. :)
Anyways, I will have time tomorrow to upload some pics and spill out more details.

xoxoxoxoxox

No comments: