Saturday, August 30, 2008

Heading home

Tomorrow I will be leaving Nashville to head back home to Chicago. All of this is a little bit surreal and I can't believe that in less than a month I will be heading out on a flight that will take me to a whole new world. Yesterday was my last day of work at The Campus for Human Development(a non-profit, rooted in faith that serves the homeless of Nashville) and a pretty sad one. Most people rejoice at the idea of having a last day and never having to turn back to a job that was mindless, boring, not challenging, etc... but I truly enjoyed my job. It's interesting place because it is impossible to be an employee and not feel like you're part of a family. We have celebrated milestones of obtaining housing, staying sober, or asking and seeking out the help for sobriety, we have bonded together during times of sorrow when we have lost a member to the streets or a relapse. There are times of frustration, anger, sadness, joy, and happiness, and through all those times, there is someone whether employee or participant(the term that is used to for the homeless we serve because they are active participants in the services provided) that is there to share it with you. It's hard to think about the participants that I have met and formed relationships with over the year will no longer be active parts in my life, I'm scared for what may come to them (life on the streets isn't easy) but I know there are people working at the Campus that will make sure their lives are a little bit easier, that they will experience love, hope, and redemption for each day is a new one and with each new one there is another chance to make change.

"And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. " -Matthew 17:20

No comments: